Membership
Teamspeak Status
Who's Online

View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Lorad87
Officer
Senior Boarder

re: Beta Weekend

I did see a few people saying exactly what Taik saw myself and I have to admit I can see where they were comeing from but I think thr problem is that most of them seemed to be people who did not have much MMO experiance or at least thats what I found. The problem I had with most of their arguments, was that they seemed to only look at the single player aspects of the games not the MMO aspects that the game has and which make it very enjoyable such as the group convos and PvP. Although I did realy like the aspect of a well done single player aspect that made it enjoyable to do the single player which is something some MMO's lack I mean when we played rift I just found that the whole lvling process was just a blitz to get to lvl50 so we could do the end game stuff. I mean LOTRO did have quite a nice story and it was better in my opinion when they made it so we could solo the stuff but I think SWTOR seems to have a very nice balance of both single player and group aspects to keep everyone happy. On the other hand there will always be people who will moan no matter what they have but I realy enjoyed everything the game had to offer and I can't wait to try out some of the higher lvl stuff in the game like high lvl PvP and the operations which seem like they will be a good laugh and of course one of the best things they haev said is NO grind to get to raid.

Junior Boarder

Quote:
She/he (propabably he) said they enjoyed it but it wasn't an MMO

I think it was just a distorted version of popular gamer-joke "Bioware made another single-player RPG". It appeared after Bioware announced their SWTOR features like story-driven gameplay, dual-morality system and building relationships with NPC companions (and other bioware's singature RPG features). But every joke has a grain of a joke, SWTOR really reminds me of Mass Effect and i think lots of gamers agree with me. That doesn't make SWTOR a bad MMORPG though :p
Minmatar_uk
Leader
Senior Boarder

I agree Taiken

If I am honest I can see why they went with the graphics as they are one because it will appeal to non star wars fans and also because it makes it easier to set a large gap in the minimum and maximum graphical settings

Here is a nice article From Kotaku

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Old Republic Already Has More Players Than Most Finished Games

Upcoming Star Wars MMO Old Republic isn't even out yet. It's still in a beta. Yet over the Thanksgiving weekend in the US over 725,000 people logged on and played the thing.

What's more, they didn't just log on, play for three minutes and log off. The average user played for 12 hours over those three days.

Every time I think of this game, of what it could have been given the developer and the license, I find myself agreeing more with Joel's piece on it from back at E3. Not in terms of how it plays, since I've barely played the thing, just in terms of how it portrays the universe. I then assume many others feel the same.

Then EA tells me that over two million people signed up for this game's beta, and 725,000 of them played in a single weekend, and I remember this game has Star Wars and BioWare written on the box. And I remember for most people that's all that matters.

Luke Plunkett

Taiken

Well, after the 2nd Beta Weekend, one my personal circumstances didn't prevent me from attending, I am quite pleased with the game.

It's not revolutionary, not by any means, though I do really like all the voice acting, cut-scenes and social way it is implemented (e.g. when you're in a group you can all choose different decisions).

The biggest sell is still the story though - its Star Wars. So long as it was a reasonably good MMO it was always going to impress me and all the other fans (I refer to both casual and die-hard fans). Running round with a light sabre and force leaping into battle is pretty cool. The awesome sound effects from the troopers huge weapons are great to hear. And the aesthetics are pretty pleasing - sure the graphics could be better, but it reminds me of what someone in an interview said - he refers to the cartoony look allowing the game to last longer, whereas more realistic graphics can have a tendancy to ages pretty quickly. An interesting perspective.

Definately looking foward to launch.

I found a comment that someone I was grouped up with interesting. She/he (propabably he) said they enjoyed it but it wasn't an MMO. It got me thinking - how to you truely define an MMO? People will constantly refer to WoW but I think the comparison is pointless when considering the question and actual definition of the acronymn. It's like saying something is "pop" music. Pop just means popular but most people make a clear distiction with what is and is not pop music. So it's ultimately a pointless distiction.

I do see the game as an MMORPG, probably more so than most others for the social interactive side of the game play. Don't get me wrong, it isn't perfect and there is loads of room for improvement - but hey, strictly speaking, it isn't even new yet as it hasn't launched. Most games like this always get loads of attention in the first year.

Happy gaming.

Junior Boarder

You'll be able to begin testing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™very soon! Your test begins:

Saturday, November 26 at 10:00AM CST

Sooo....down the pub Friday it is :P
Minmatar_uk
Leader
Senior Boarder

Bromhead1970 wrote:
First of all - hello I am still alive.

Second - I have now got a new PC, some time at last and hopefully will be about this weekend to catch up with everyone.

Soz about my lengthy absence - Have had a number of things impacting on my play-time, mainly work. I am off for the rest of the week and weekend so hope to talk cobblers again soon. x

"Faints"

Well I should be online for Saturday for the beta

Will try and remember to get teamspeakset up as well now vent is gone

Lorad87
Officer
Senior Boarder

Holy crap it's brom!!

You better be about how else will we get to see the mighty jedi Bernard mashing people up wink

P.S you smell tongue out

Junior Boarder

Yay! Brom Lives!

Nice to see you back in time for this!
Bromhead1970
Officer
Junior Boarder

First of all - hello I am still alive.

Second - I have now got a new PC, some time at last and hopefully will be about this weekend to catch up with everyone.

Soz about my lengthy absence - Have had a number of things impacting on my play-time, mainly work. I am off for the rest of the week and weekend so hope to talk cobblers again soon. x
Tarimdir_
Jedi
Returning Boarder

Taiken wrote:
Bah ... weekend after please ... moving house on 25th

damn, been invited but I am out for the whole weekend.
Lorad87
Officer
Senior Boarder

Move the PC in first Taik surely you can unpack the rest in the week wink

Bah ... weekend after please ... moving house on 25th

Junior Boarder

This just got posted on Twitter via their official account:

SWTOR The Old Republic
We are targeting November 25-28 for our upcoming #SWTOR Beta Testing Weekend.
nimmir
Jedi
New Boarder

I'll hopefully be in the beta too Happy I hadn't registered before 11/11 but I won a code on those massive giveaways and the email I received mentioned this:
"YOU MUST enter your code prior to 11:59PM CENTRAL STANDARD TIME on Friday 11/18/2011. Codes are not redeemable beyond these cut off times."
So, I guess this could be the beta weekend ;)
Lorad87
Officer
Senior Boarder

I'm going to be in too.

As for the time frame of it punny they have not said much bet it is going to be a big on as they said anyone who had signed for testing before 11/11/11 was going to be invited and they are also giving out passes via certain websites it's because this will be the big stress test before the game launches.

And as for when I'd bet last weekend of this month or first weekend of December.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Poll Widget
Last Forum Posts
PayPal Donation